Tuesday 20 September 2011

SUMMER - GET OVER IT....

I'm reluctant to let go of summer...its been a bit rubbish...but hey, I had a fab holiday with my sister in Switzerland, a couple of National Trust visits (kick Liverpool One into touch, visit Speke Hall!) & I bought a sun lounger ( is Wilkos the new Woolworths?)....Seriously all the kids (& me) are back in school, its freshers week in Manchester & gold & russet reds mingle with green leaves. A few weeks ago one of my oldest Manchester pals Ian Massey (check out his biography of British pop artist Patrick Procktor (Patrick Procktor-Art & life) gave me some 1940s boys interest magazines, the covers reminded me of carefree holidays... of times gone by -when you went out in the morning & didnt come home til dusk! Your mum gave you a sandwich & a bottle of pop ( or money which you could blow on sweets!) & well, you met friends, you got into scrapes, avoided bullies & nasty families, fished, swam, explored, made camps....just been talking to Aunty Enid about it........





Those are the ones which inspired me.... here are a few (a lot) more......


















P.S Enid Blyton gets a lot of stick but she is a British icon...shes not racist...Lots of kids developed their imaginations & creativity because of her books.....love you Aunty Enid!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Uncle Dennis
    I love Aunty Enid too (as you well know), and still have my Famous Five books, icons of my younger days. Take it easy old pal and see you soon for another curry.
    Ian x

    ReplyDelete